View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #8
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Looking at this sticker, I wonder why they want so much pressure in the rear and less in front where most of the unloaded weight is?Attachment 14611

It would seem to me, the engine weight would require higher pressure. The empty bed would require lower pressure. I could see raising both while loaded or towing. I am missing some large piece of information here . . .

For that matter, my F150 had the same pressure listed for front and back, which never made any sense to me either.

Thoughts?
A complete explanation is complicated. It requires researching a number of individual sections of the FMVSS and vehicle certification. NHTSA has mandated that the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations are correct. They have also mandated that any exceptions from the recommendations must be described in the vehicle owner's manual.

There is an industry wide standard that says any tire found to be 20% below recommended inflation is (theoretically) in a "run flat" condition and should be inspected for external or internal damage. So, if you're running your rear tires at something below 64 PSI when the placard calls for 80 PSI they are considered "flat". See what I mean by complicated? A savvy owner may know that's not the case for their vehicle because they know what it's carrying all the time. But, then there is the argument about load capacity reserves. Does an owner's settings provide any?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote