View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "other part" of the tire pressure placard isn't pasted on the door jamb by Ford. Rather they put the information (somewhat ambiguously) in the Owner's Manual. Essentially, given this example, the "recommended pressure" is for "vehicle operation at max GVW" In the pretense of "dummy down owners" (I don't like that process at all) the old tire load/pressure chart has been removed from the vehicle owner's manuals.

Essentially, as you can see in the picture. The pressure indicates "at max load/max speed".

Used to be, back in the 70's, a chart in every owners manual that listed every tire size and a recommended pressure based on load on that specific axle. I suppose that got to be too complicated to explain in 140 characters, so through the years, all the auto manufacturers just removed the "tire load chart" from the owner's manual and rather than "confuse owners" they just recommend the "single pressure" and leave it to owner's to "unconfused themselves".... Many just "air up to the placard and complain about rough ride".....

Here's an example of what the tire pressure placard "used to say" That yellow square on the side bar pretty much explained that the figures were for "maximum load/GVW".... I'd guess that "confused some people who thought they had to drive 100 MPH (see the picture) and after someone spilled hot coffee in their lap while speeding, the manufacturer "Dummied down" the placard to stay out of court...... <sigh> Yeah, some really are that naïve (I'm trying to be nice)....

^^^This is right. I run 60-65 psi front and rear when not towing. Run full 80psi in the rear with the trailer. The truck does not need maximum carry ability when empty....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote