View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight-guardian View Post
there are strain reliefs not in the picture.

the nema metal box is on my todo list. I didn't realize it was that important. that being said I know tons of guys with contactors and double pull relays that aren't in boxes. the contactor is a closed version so no sparking will escape. and there is little amperage on the lines when the contactor activates...only the clock on the micro and the start-up power on the converter which is pretty low.

but I take it under advisement and appreciate your input. it will be easier in a box as well. the mounting to the ceiling of the converter compartment was a royal pita.

-E
Don't want to be an alarmist it's just my nature to be cautious (I instructed 2 electrical courses as adjuct faculty for an HVAC program at a community college for several years ) and I have been in the construction/facilities managment buisness for many years. With that being said,I have seen many of these arch with a little bit of moisture to the enclosue which is by code grounded, leaving telltale black streaks and pitting.
The strain relifs would hold the wires and prevent them from pulling loose and touching. If the live feed wire suppling voltage pulled loose and touched the ground it would ruin your trip.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote