Thread: New TV
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #43
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverbrian View Post
I will add a few words and try to be constructive.

As others here will tell you, guessing is not something that is something you should attempt when dealing with safety. It is easy to look at the door jam of the truck and the sticker on the trailer to see real, legal numbers. For the trailer, the important number is the GVW which is a loaded trailer and industry standard estimate on a TT is 9 to 14 % as your tongue weight. With the truck, the important number is the payload information. The available payload to tow the trailer is the GVWR less the scale number of the truck with tools, people, hitch etc included. The payload number from the manufacturer will never change even if you modify the truck. Also, to be safe on the road, it is best to have a safety margin and not to be at max payload.

When it comes to axles, legally you need to be aware and in compliance of the GVAR of each axle, but the payload is usually the issue when it comes to towing.

Another thing, if you are thinking of upgrading your truck, many make the mistake of buying a 3/4 ton truck and then learning that the legal number does not increase much because of the definition of what a 3/4 ton is (under 10,000lbs GVWR). A full 1 ton pick up is usually the best route when towing an RV unless the trailer is undersized and no intention of getting a larger trailer. Again it is payload that is usually the critical number when it comes to towing. Especially when it comes to fifth wheels. I know yours is a TT and it puts less weight on the pickup but remember that weight is on the very end of the truck versus a fifth wheel which is centered over the rear wheels.

The towing capacity of the truck is also a number put out by the manufacturers and you need to keep within that number also, but it is usually not as hidden as payload and therefore easier to keep wthin.
Im well aware how it works, im also a commercial driver. The rating on trucks serves as more guidelines to me as for example, I have F350 srw at work that are derated to 3/4 ton for registration purposes. Safety wise they are perfectly safe to tow what any other 1 ton would but on paper it doesn't appear so.
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote