View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
smiller

I'm going to guess that the OP meant Towmax, not Towmaster. Many have had no problems with the Towmax, and many have had results similar to the OP... and I don't like those odds. I experienced a tire failure (not a Towmax) and damage similar to the OP and it's amazing how that changes your personal level of acceptable risk. The Maxxis have an excellent track record and I'll also note as I have in other threads that I compared two Towmax and Maxxis tires of the same size (ST235/80-16) off the rim and the Maxxis were noticeably heavier and had much sturdier sidewalls. And I mean a lot, as in a quite surprising difference. I can't say how much that may or may not affect reliability but I decided to replace the OEM Towmax with a set of Maxxis and haven't looked back, the peace of mind is worth it to me. Admittedly all Internet tire talk of tire failures is anecdotal so make of it what you will, but the physical difference between the tires was real and is what convinced me.

Also no matter what tires you choose install a TPMS system. The best tire in the world will fail if it is running low due to a nail you didn't know you picked up, and if that happens the second tire on the same side will also eventually fail due to being grossly overloaded, and that is BAD news.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote