Thread: Tire pressures
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
chuck&gail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
If you are using ST tires they are all designed to be operated at full sidewall pressures. If you are using LT tires they should be operated at the pressures required to meet the load capacity of the OE tires depicted on the trailer’s certification label, and nothing less.

It is the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer to set it’s recommended (correct) tire pressure (s). They are found on the vehicle’s certification label. Deviations will be found in the vehicle’s owner’s manual.

If you already know those safety rules you have knowingly chosen to disregard the entire tire industries safety standards and published your own.

Sorry for the strong wording. Maybe your system works for you with meticulous management and the slim load capacity reserves your lucky 5 psi gives you.

The entire tire industry uses the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressure (s) to determine when a tire in use has entered into the “run flat” condition. That condition starts when a tire is found with 20% less tire pressure than the recommended amount. That’s 52 psi or less from a 65 psi recommendation.

In the reference below you will find a statement that says NEVER use less tire pressure than what is found on the tire placard/certification label.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf

CW
Thanks for the warning about Bridgestone ST tires. Frankly I did not even know they made them, but if I ever buy some I'll do as they say.

HOWEVER,

I have so far put over 200,000 miles on various non-Chinese ST tires with only a few repairable nail punctures occuring. I use the tables as I said above.

Note Maxxis, one of the most highly recommended 15" tires on this web site, DOES publish weight versus pressure tables for THEIR tires.

Your choice, I'm going to keep doing what has worked for me for more years than I can recall.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote