View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #32
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal713 View Post
What brand of tires and when to change is always a fun subject because there are many opinions and facts seem obscured. I think to start with a statement that is true- manufacturers use cheap tires. Some people might have some good luck many do not. I have no experience with the Salin brand. I do have experience with Carlyle and Good Year. I have run Carlyle tires for years on many trailers and as long as I do the proper maintenance and inspections never had a problem. (I always do those things so never have had a problem). Good Year Endurance are one of the best trailer tires available but around $125-130/tire expensive. We bought a used Crossroads Sunset Trails 291RK with OEM supplied tires. They were in very good condition and the trailer had not been used much. DOT date was 2016 on all 5. I was going to replace anyway but had a blow out on homeward trip from Shenandoah last August. All I heard was "POP" then checked mirror and trailer had a little sway. Got off road to safe place and it had just popped. We were almost home and then I found out the tire cross wrench I brought would not fit the aluminum rims (OOPS! Forgot to check that). I ran home and got a deepwell socket and had it changed in less than 20 minutes. I had inspected all tires before trip and put 35 lbs in them all. Upon further inspection of the others I noticed small cracks starting to open in the sidewalls. So the camper got 5 new sneakers. I bought Carlyle and bumped up a load range- which I was going to do anyway. In future if I don't know a brand of tire I am not going to trust safety to it. I did have fun with the guys at the tire store when I took the wheels in for new sneakers. The steel belt was sticking out the blown one. "Can you guys patch this for me please?"
Jest kidden!

If you only had 35 psi in your tires I'm surprisde they all did not fail. They would be grossly underinflated.
You need to review the MINIMUM tire and MINIMUM inflation recommended by your trailer MFG.

There is a Certification sticker on the outside, driver side, toward the front with that information. I bet all you looked at when it came to "inspection" was to see if you had tread pattern. I will PM you with a link to my RV Tire Safety info. Note I don't sell anything but offer my 40 years experience as a tire design engineer.