View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Well I would think that the overall volume of air is constantly moving inside the tire..as the tire rotates it compresses along different points constantly as the tire hits the ground and momentarily changes shape..thousands of times over and over…a tire isn’t a steel tank that is holding air sitting on a shelf
So I think the air in the valve stem would have a fair representation of the air temp inside the tire..and the heat of the wheel/rim would either be somewhat lost to the cooler air inside or to the atmosphere but don’t think one will have a relationship without the other being proportionally affected. (or would centrifugal force override that?)
My point being as a laymen and not an engineeer is that the tpms sensor will have a fair sense of air temperature whether it’s an internal or external because the actual temp sensor is in direct contact with the air inside, whether it’s inside the wheel or 1.5 inches up the stem….

and yes I know I’m spending too much time on this issue lol

I have the tpms just for peace of mind to make sure all the tires are around the same temp and pressure ..nothing more

And there you have it....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote