Thread: Truck tires
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRandy View Post
I have also owned many, many, sets of tires, and still do. Many of them are Toyos, and I know of a bunch more on the road, and know of 1 tire that had to be warrantied. I own 30+ vehicles, including my trailers, quads, and so forth. I only stated my experience, and what the review said.

As far as Toyo tires, I know you don't like them, and that is ok. I would like to know what issues you had with them.

I bought a truck that had Hercules 19.5 tires on it when I bought it, and all 6 failed before 50% wear, as in chunks coming out of them in the center of the tread. It now has Michelins on the front, and Hankooks on the rear. The Michelins are $400 tires, and the Hankooks are half that. The Michelins are very good tires. The Hankooks are out of round to the point of making a noticeable, minor vibration at 40 mph.

I have noticed that UPS uses mostly Goodyear tires on their trucks, I am sure they consider cost per mile when purchasing tires, and if there was a more cost effective option, they would do that.

I have a friend that works for a 2nd tier tire company that deals mostly in trailer and ATV tires. He told me that most overseas tire companies that are making tires for the US market are using used, 2nd hand equipment that is not as consistent when makin the tire, and that is why they need more weight to balance them. They also frequently remove the UV protection additive from the rubber compound, to save money, Did Sailun do this? I have no way of knowing. Based on the price, I would guess they cut corners somewhere.

The pictures of failed Sailuns I have seen looked like damage due to low pressure, which is not the tires fault, it is user error.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck with your tires, and please let me know what issues you have had with Toyo.

I did not/would not run Toyos on our commercial vehicles due to personal experience with them. Only owned 2 sets; one on a pickup and one on an SUV. In both cases I could not keep them balanced no matter what we did or how many times we checked them. Wear was erratic to say the least. I had a set on my Ram truck when I traded it in and as we went around it to determine trade in value the guy that appraised the truck stopped when he looked at the tires, turned to me and said "you know those are terrible tires, they all have to be replaced so knocking 1K off your trade in price". So, long story short, they were a headache from the time I bought them to the day I got rid of them.

I too wish you luck with your tire choices. Tires, their performance and a person's personal assessment are very subjective and dependent on many variables that only that individual controls. Depending on my experiences with the Sailun ST tires I had put on this trailer and any historical data that emerges in the future on Sailun truck tires I may go with them when I replace the current truck tires vs Michelin.....but that is a BIG stretch at the moment.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote