Thread: Lane choice
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 11:11 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
My 2 cents: FIRST: I spend time and moneys makings sure that our tow vehicle matches what I'm towing. My ultimate goal is safety, properly matched combo should ensure that you are able to safely run at the posted speed limit, that being said, towing 10,000 +lbs should, in my mind, be kept under 65 mph. Side bar: if the posted speed limit is in the higher range (70+) then you are surely on a multiple lane road leaving multiple left lanes for passing. SECONDLY: Equally as important is a proper hitch combo... safety is not the time to go cheap. THIRD: I find that driving in the right lane (on a multiple lane road) causes some problems i.e. i) you have to constantly proactively react to speeding merging cars (no one wants to be behind an RV or Bus) so they race you to the merge ii) you also have to deal with slowing traffic for vehicles wanting to take exit ramps iii) you also have to deal with slow moving vehicles driving below the speed limit, sometimes commercial vehicles or simply Sunday drivers. CONCLUSION: For these reasons I try to stay within the speed limit in the second lane while watching for "weavers" in in the right lane. And like others who have posted my primary concern is safety for all.

The OP specifically referenced a road with "2 lanes" not multiple (3 or more) lanes. If 3 or more it is advantageous to get out of the right lane but don't move to the "passing/fast" lane.

As far as 70+ speed limit surely being a multiple laned road....not so much. In TX the prevailing speed limit for most highways is 75mph - 2 lane (one each direction), 4 lane, 6 lane - unless you get lucky and find an interstate with 80mph...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote