View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
flybouy
Site Team

My Camping World and PayPal experience

I'll apologize for the length up front. I don't know how to tell this any other way:

Let me start by saying I rarely buy from CW because in the past their shipping was expensive and typically I can buy the same thing at a lower price with free shipping elsewhere. Once in a while they will have a sale that makes it worthwhile. PayPal, I'll use to send money to family for Christmas or birthdays and occasional purchases online.

Back on 12/7/220 I received an email from CW announcing Good Sam members get an extra 20% discount on select items. Deal was good until 12/13. Recent threads on TPMS got me thinking of replacing our old Tire Minder system. I looked online and CW had the Tireminder Smart TPMS with signal booster and 4 sensors on sale. There was no stipulation that any other discounts could not be applied. With the GS discount, the price would be $265.34 , that's almost $90- off.

So I place it in the cart, apply the GS code, and the cost came up in the cart at $265.34. Beside this total ion the cart was the line "pay with Paypal 4 pay, 4 easy payments, one payment every 2 weeks without interest". I see the 4 pay deal and I think "ok, I don't really care, nor need to defer the payments but if PayPal wants to front the money why not". My thinking was I don't need this as the trailer in in storage, the last payment would be 1/22/21 so if ships then it would miss the Christmas shipping debacle and it would delay the sales date and extend the warranty by a little bit. OK, done deal in my mind. I click on "Buy", go to PP and pick the 4 pay.

Pay Pay sends me an email confirming the 4 pay dates and amounts. But I didn't get an email from CW that you typically get confirming the order. The next day I log onto CW and there's the item in the cart, same discounted price but now below the total it lists -$66.34 (the first payment amount in the PP email). I attempted to call CW to see why I didn't get a confirmation email. What a joke. Spent several hours calling, being placed on hold and getting disconnected. Thank you Covd for more poor service excuses.

So now I'm confused but still thinking CW advertised the PP option on their website, and they acknowledged the first payment. I still attempted to reach out to CW the next day again to no avail. Things happened (life goes on) and the next time I had the opportunity to check the item in the cart was priced back at the "regular" price. The -$66.34 deduction was no gone. WTH? So I log on to PP and my account does not list the transaction at all. WTH?

So a few days ago I spent the better part of 4 hrs getting someone from CW CS to answer the phone. Again, after being disconnect 3 times and finally getting someone to look into it I get a "sorry, you should talk to PayPal. Gee, why didn't I get a confirmation from CW? CW is promoting the PP deal so is it not PP who is contracted by CW for this? What happened to the communication? (there was absolutely none from CW). All I got was a "too bad for you bud". After discussing this further she put me on hold to "call a supervisor". She probably went to make another pot of coffee but whatever. About 4 min later she comes back and says there's nothing that can be done as now the item is listed with "this item does not qualify for any other sales or discounts". Lovely, have a nice day lady.

On to Paypal. Well, no phone numbers just a chat to communicate. Their chat isn't live either. You send a message, they send an email back in a day or so saying you have a message after they "get around to returning a reply". Wonderful. So after several days of this I receive a message from PayPal. They had my name incorrect (not misspelled but now even close), the merchant incorrect (they listed WalMart not CW) but they did the amount correct. They apologized for the "incorrect billing of $66.34 and would credit it back to my bank account. WOW, what service! Needless to say, I've canceled my account with PayPal.

After reflecting on this I called the "Speak with Marcus" number on CW website. A very pleasant young lady answered the phone (I assume young as she was out of breath when she answered the phone and I could clearly hear what sounded like a toddler in the background, Ain't Covid fun!?). She disconnected but did call me back when that happened. I explained my voyage to her and she said she would "take it to the team so that wouldn't happen again in the future". Well now THAT makes me feel better. So I guess that means that if I want this item it'll cost me an extra $90. Gee, they didn't ask me to "take one for the team". Lovely, have a nice day lady.

So, now CW will never see my business again right along with PP. Now I regret renewing my GS and it too shall be abandoned when it expires. Now I'm not naive I'm fully aware that they could care less less about my disappointment. The purpose of this exhaustive tome is to make others aware of what happened and the results of this failed transaction.

This was my experience and if you have had a positive experience that's great but this has turned me to abandon both retailers as I no longer have any trust in transacting with them again. Anyone can make a mistake, stuff happens, but the lack of even attempting to resolve the issue has left a vile impression on the two companies absence of any effective customer service.

YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote