Thread: Which Tire?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #21
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3209 View Post
My Montana came with the ST235/80R16 China Bombs (max load rated at 3,420 per tire) made by Trailer King. After 6,664 miles I blew a tire on the driver side of the RV. Before I got to my final location to research and replace the complete set of tires, a week later I blew one on the passenger side after 7,188 miles. Thank the Lord that I had insurance to repair the $5,000 plus of damages to the RV. I did my research comparing the tires available to me and chose to replace all 4 tires with the Goodyear Endurance tire because they are now manufactured in the US with great QC. One thing I did to keep the E rated wheels, I upgraded the size to the ST255/85R16 that are rated at 4,080 lbs per tire. My GVWR is 16,715 lbs. If you consider the pin weight of 2,735 lbs, then the tires need to support 13,980 lbs. I increased the total tire rating from 13,680 lbs to 16,320. I now have 6,395 miles on my Endurance tires, which ride smoother, the handling is much improved and am more comfortable with the US tire on my Montana.

What was the cause of the tire failures? Were they belt separations or sidewall flex failure/ Didn't your tPMS give you timely warning? Do you have good pictures you can share?
I understand the GVWR. What is the measured actual load on each axle? The goal is to have the tire load capacity to be at least 115% of the measured load for the heaviest loaded tire. Need to assume an end to end load split for each axle to be at least 52/48 unbalance split and to use the heavy end for the calculations as very few RVs have an even 50/50 split based on some 20,000 actual scale weightings.