Thread: Maxxis failure
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

To "piggyback" on Danny's comments:

I also had "issues with TK's. I won't claim to have coined the nickname china bomb, but I will freely admit that I've used it regularly and don't believe that TK's have avoided that name. Over and over again, I read comments from people who have suffered catastrophic damage to their towable RV, and invariably, when asked the brand of tire, TK comes up over and over.

As for Carlisle tires, I initially bought Radial Trail RH tires (3 months before the Radial Trail HD was introduced) as replacements for my china bombs. I bought them rather than Maxxis because of price. Carlisle tires in 225 75R15 LRE were $67 each at WalMart. Maxxis were over $100 for the same size tire.

Then along came Goodyear Endurance. Made in America and claimed to be "better than the competition. Are they??? I just don't know.

To date, since 2016 and the introduction of the Radial Trail HD, I have only heard of one tire failure on that brand. The cause of the failure was not determined, at least not reported, so it may have been a road hazard, a bad tire, a failure or misuse. I don't know. At any rate, I've heard of no "problematic failures" with Carlisle Radial Trail tires. They are currently $78 at WalMart. Goodyear Endurance, in the same size, are $134. That's $224 more than a set of Radial Trail HD tires.

I don't know how many people would not want to save $225 on tires by buying a comparable tire that has no history of failure... Now, if HD's were causing problems on a frequent basis, I'd say maybe the extra money for better tires is a sound investment. But HD's aren't failing, they are providing the same reliable service as Endurance tires, so why spend extra money for no extra service reliability???

Each person needs to do their own research and spend their money on what they believe is the best purchase for their situation....

That said, I bought Carlisle Radial Trail HD's for the second time (actually RH's the first time) and I've got well over 40K miles on these two sets with zero problems.... I also bought Sailun TerraMax tires for my truck rather than Michelin LTX-2's and have been very pleasantly surprised by the excellent service they have given me.

I am, more and more, coming to realize that spending the most money doesn't necessarily give you any better product than you'd get if you do your research and buy an equally reliable product for a significant savings...

Additionally, having been one of those who got caught up in the Goodyear Marathon debacle in the 90's, for me, the "jury is still out on Goodyear"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote