Thread: Maxxis failure
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
“ Goodyear put a lot of work into the Endurance, and has a vested interest in making sure people are happy with it. ”
I wonder how this differs with their Marathon tire? Hmmmm? And they built it for years knowing how bad it was...
GY put a lot of engineering and forethought in the development of the Marathon ST tires. When they were introduced into the USA market they were built here in the USA. A few years later, GY opened a new plant in China which started building the Marathon ST tires. Because of all the failure reports, GY reviewed their ST manufacturing program. There were zero NHTSA recalls against the brand.

The GY Marathons are the primary reason I started researching ST tires in 2004. When we purchased our first and only full time trailer, it was a 38', 2003 Keystone Everest 5th wheel. It had 6000 axles and the Original Equipment tires were USA made GY Marathons. They were ST235/80R16 LRD, that's right LRD with a maximum load capacity of 3000# at 65 PSI. With those tires GY did not fail me, the governing body did. Within the first, year all OE tires had failed. GY inspected one of them and said I was overloading them. It was very easy to do with zero load capacity reserves and a 65 MPH speed restriction.

The GY endurance ST tires cannot be accurately compared with like sized tires of another brand. The GY may have taller treads, a nylon overlay and sidewall scuff guard sidewall inserts. All add weigh but do not add strength, just a little more durability.

The ST235/80R16 LRE tires have a serious fallacy, they have three distinct load capacity limits, all at 80 PSI. Their maximum load capacity can be 3420#, 3500# or 3520#.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote