View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #28
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It would be nice, but I don't know of any "reasonably priced TPMS" that is manufactured with internal sensors. All of the major brands use either flow through or end cap sensors. I'd suspect part of that is the limited range of internal sensors, the length of time tires are typically installed on trailers before being replaced (which is the only way to access the internal sensor to change a battery)… Remember, that many (maybe even most) RV owners don't change out tires at 3-5 years and I'd suspect that less than half even use a TPMS.

I wouldn't look to any RV manufacturer to increase the MSRP of their "comparably priced trailer" to go higher than the competition with a device that few people even know exists. Truck manufacturers are now offering a "limited version of the trailer TPMS" as an option. That option, at least for Ford, is bundled in an expensive towing package and doesn't even monitor temperature, just pressure. Yes, it also uses "outside sensors".

Just my opinion, but I suspect the reason a more sophisticated TPMS with internal sensors isn't available is because the market research doesn't support building it. Everything these days seems to be about "how much can we profit" not "how can we improve service for the customer"....

Internal sensor is available and was part of my comparison. One thing to remember that with internal sensor you still need dismount the tire to replace the batteries.
Yes RV companies are not going to offer this for a couple of reasons. Initial cost. we see the lack of quality in RV construction so the company can cut costs. Also once installed the batteries are getting older. Also not all buyers understand the value of TPMS.