Thread: Balance beads
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Note, I'm not the OP, but since I've stirred this up with a wheel that is not behaving, I'll assume the OP position for now.

I'll take that particular tire to the shop and have them rotate it 180 degrees and rebalance it again. Good idea, and much appreciated. When I said there are 16 weights on the wheel, that's 16 1/4 ounce weights. 4 ounces total.
Bill,

That 4 ounces rather than 16 ounces makes a significant difference. While still not ideal, 4 ounces is probably acceptable for balancing a ST tire, given some of the ways they're handled, shipped and mounted. I don't know that I'd return the tire again with that new information. If it were 16 ounces, then no way I'd tow with it on my trailer. So, at this point, it's pretty much a matter (at least in my opinion) of accepting it being "on the outside edge of OK" or trying to make it better by adjusting the tire on the wheel. That's a decision you'll need to make for your own peace of mind.

For the record, not that it matters in "function", but what brand wheel and tire are you trying to balance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote