View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #20
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
If tires are set properly to cold pressure rating (technically at 68° F with 1 psi added or subtracted for each 10° above or below). That’s the overly anal method, but in the real word check and set when “cold” meaning not driven on in past 3 hours. Either way rise in temperature in use should still keep you within design limits of the tires.

Now that being said, your actual tires will decide how safe this is. Stock tires (like Trailer King, or Power King) might pose a concern as they have a dubious reputation, whereas aftermarket tires (like Goodyear, Carlisle or Sailun) might give you more peace of mind.

Sorry but setting tire pressure is done at Ambient Temperature. No adjustment or calculation to some theoretical High School Chem lab experiment.
No idea what you think the "design limits" are for tires. The MINIMUM pressure at ambient temperature is the pressure in the charts for your Actual measured load on the heavy end of each axle.
I recommend adding 10% so you are not chasing your tail whenever the air temperature changes a few degrees.

I would expect "normal" operating temperature to increase above ambient by 10F to 50F depending on ambient as cooler air will transfer heat faster to the wheel and then to the air. With a +50F that would suggest a pressure increase of 10% to 20% as "normal" variation comes from air flow and heat transfer variations. You also have variation of +/- a couple % for pressure reading from TPMS.

Please stop overthinking this. I have covered this is detail ini my blog.