View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 06:32 AM   #107
RET.LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Education please.

I have a 2002 Toyota Prius with a CVT, and (knock on wood) have had no problems with it. What is it about Nissan's CVT that makes it "a piece of junk" (or are all CVTs in your opinion junk - and if so, why?) or is it that a CVT doesn't make a good hauling heavy-duty transmission (again, if so, why)?

Thanks.
I had considered a Nissan Murano a few years back until I spoke to a long time mechanic buddy of mine, he changed my mind real fast. I bought my wife a Toyota Highlander instead.........sure glad I did. Her Highlander and my Tundra are two of the best vehicles I have owned since I bought my first car 50 years ago.
The main difference is the magical word "Toyota" which equates quality. Toyota builds their own so they have much better quality control, materials, engineering. Nissan's CVT are built by JATCO which they own a part of. High end Nissan Murano, Altima owners were losing their CVT's before the 100K mark. Nissan finally had a Class Action Lawsuit filed against them to help owners out.
Nissan knew it was a defective trans. but used them anyway......they still do and they still have the same problems. Ask a transmission shop about Nissan CVT's.........nobody knows them better.
Here's a good article on Nissan CVT's
http://www.nissanproblems.com/cvt/
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote