View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #97
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkula View Post
@ sourdough (Matt 14:31). My experience(s) is to help flyfishMT, so no worries. Feelings have nothing to do with driving up and down the passes. Its all experience that includes other vehicles (Chevy) towing and non-towing. Is it the Best vehicle? Well what is the BEST vehicle for towing? For my numbers, towing experience, and most importantly family safety my Tundra gets the job done w/o white knuckles. Come to Colorado and we can take a trip together. I can show you better than I can tell you. I just want to make sure it gets logged correctly ��
Be safe and wash your hands.

I understand your intentions and that's OK. I was pointing out, from my experience and observations after about 51 years of driving all over CO, that the combination you describe isn't, IMO, the most stable of combos I've seen. The OP was asking primarily about safety and stability. It's just a fact that a 35' trailer behind a 1/2 ton can be a handful; much more than behind a HD truck - btdt. Doesn't matter if you have Bilstein shocks, LT tires, air bags or an Equalizer hitch. Stopping power coming down sharp switchbacks on a 12k' pass cannot be ignored.

Just trying to keep the OP apprised of issues that can come up. Already owning a Tundra it would be human nature (mine anyway) to try to find reasons/excuses to rationalize why keeping the Tundra to pull a 10,500 load up and down the mountains would be "OK". It wouldn't IMO and just wanted the OP to be aware of that. It's all good, and yes, I wash my hands far more often than I used to but as much as I run around thinking about putting on a hazmat suit so I can "blend in" with the crowd.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote