View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #16
slow

Tire pressures, what to expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Because we don’t know your trailer’s actual Original Equipment tire sizes, I’m just going to do a hypothetical.

Your OE tires were probably ST225/75R15 LRD. So I’m going to use the figures for that tire in this hypothetical. To get tire with 50% reserve load capacity for your trailer you would have to use 16” tires. The first best fit to gain that 50 % would be the ST235/80R16.

The recommended inflation pressures for your OE tires are displayed on the vehicle certification label and are minimum inflation pressures for that fitment. So let’s say the recommended inflation pressures for the OE tires are 65 PSI. That would provide 2540# of load capacity per tire. Looking at a chart for the above mentioned 16” tires reveals they could have a recommended inflation pressure of 50 PSI to satisfy the requirement of providing a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided.

For the 16” tires to provide 50% load capacity reserves they would have to be inflated to 75 PSI, 5 PSI below their maximum allowed PSI.

I am running the ST235/80R16 E.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote