View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishMT View Post
All, thanks for all the great info. To answer SummitPond - from my pillar sticker, my GVWR is 7100lb, GAWR FRT: 4000lb, RR: 4150lb. How do these numbers fit into the equation with payload of what I can tow?

Also, for what it's worth, I have read Tundra uses a more stringent SAE standard for payload testing. I will say I currently tow a single axle camper with UVW 2893 always with 36 gallons water (and typically a bed loaded with gear!) from the house and can't hardly tell it's back there. The manufacturer claims 295lb hitch weight but I think you're saying this is actually 376lbs.

Not trying to disagree with anything said here! - just more info from my research and experience.

EDIT - I have read the payload number includes a tank of gas and 2 150lb passengers as well. A tank of gas is substantial - I have a 38 gallon tank.
Payload is the gross vehicle weight rating, you say that's 7,100 lb. - the actual weight of the truck. The door pillar sticker with the tire info will typically have that capacity on it. Now, that sticker is when the truck rolled out of the factory. Deduct anything that you put in the truck i.e. tools, maps, floor mats, gear that put in the bed, etc. Add about 150 lbs. for a weight distributing hitch.

Now, look at the tongue weight of the camper. The published number is when the camper rolled out of the factory so it DOES NOT include the weight of the battery, propane tanks, water, gray or black tank contents, or anything else that you put in the camper i.e. cooking pots/pans, plates/silverware, clothing, linens for the beds, food, beverages, toys, etc. The common number to use for the loaded tongue weight is take the max trailer weight and multiply by .13 or .15. It will depend on how it's loaded (more weight forward of axles will add more tongue weight,

This is a harsh reality that a lot of 1/2 ton truck owners go thru when they realize they just cannot safely tow a larger trailer. No here is trying to "rain on you're parade" Most of us have been there done that and are just trying to prevent others from making the same mistakes we made.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote