View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
Hmmm........I would've not thought about a different size spare on a truck. I guess I'll find out soon if I'll continue thus practice on my 6.0. I've not had it long enough to do a rotation yet but, it's on the list to do. Thanks for the heads up.
On a 2006 model, chances are very, VERY slim that you have the OEM tires on that truck, but, when it was new, the info I posted "should be accurate".

If you have 18" wheels on your truck, the spare is a BSW 18" tire on a steel wheel. If you have 20" wheels on your truck, the spare is a BSW of the appropriate "diameter" also mounted on a black steel wheel. When I bought my 1993 F250, all the wheels were 16" but the tires were OWL mounted on aluminum wheels on the ground and BSW on the spare which was on a steel wheel.

It was the same with my BIL's 2009 and with my 2013 and 2015. Ford "cheaps out" by using a "full size spare" without the OWL and by installing it on a black steel wheel, not a matching "pretty wheel" like you see on the ground.

I'd advise you to crawl under your truck and read the size on your spare and compare it to what's on the ground. While under there, you can also see whether it's a "high priced cast wheel" or a "XL priced steel wheel"... My bet's on the XL priced 18" wheel and tire.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote