View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #17
bill-e

As to portable vs installed. I struggled for a while with this decision and went with portable. First, my fridge is on a slide so that would mean drilling into my roof. Plus the added possible leak locations caused by the panel brackets. As technology get's better for the semi flexible panels, I may add 400w to my roof and glue them down rather than penetrate the roof.

The portable is certainly more work at the campsite but we like to camp under trees and the portable and about 30' of cable allow me to find sun if there is any. Even in a field if you park next to a tree line area the shadows in mid afternoon can cover the camper in which case I just move the panels.

If you park in fields all the time then certainly the roof mount is the best option.

All panels need to be cleaned, especially in the spring when the pollen will cover them in no time. Portable are easier in that regard.

Storage - I use my panels about 6 times a season and just lay the suitcase it comes in on my bed for transport. When I'm using shore power I leave it home.

Portable is quick, most come with clips for the battery so there is really no installation. I installed a Zamp bulkhead connector to plug mine in to.

My 200w panels even here in NH put out almost 15amps during the height of the sun. I have no problems charging 50-60ah during a sunny day which usually fills my battery.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote