View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
As for leaving truck hooked up while doing slides and such, if I'm not mistaken you can't overdraw the truck wiring because the converter is only going to pull so many amps, possibly no different than having low batteries and being charged while driving down the road. At least that's the way I understand it, since the converter only trickle charges the batteries you can't hurt the truck wiring because all power from your truck has to run through the converter. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Your statements (Changed to red) bring up a point that I'm not certain about, so I've sent an email to WFCO to get their explanation. I don't believe that the converter has any control over or influence in charging the trailer battery during towing. I think (from what I understand about converter operation) that unless the converter is powered by 120 VAC, it does not produce any DC voltage and does not influence the voltage level that is being supplied by the tow vehicle alternator/voltage regulator. What comes through pin #4 on the trailer umbilical plug is not affected by the converter, rather it bypasses the converter and goes directly to the DC fuse panel input lugs in the power distribution center. The converter is not powered on and doesn't have any influence in DC power unless the trailer is plugged into shore power or a generator.

I'll post the answers from WFCO when they respond.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote