View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #15
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorse View Post
I’m a little nervous about having the small wires on my truck’s plug for the trailer trying to source 40-50 amps while the leveling systems cycles. I think I’ll be on the generator now for this when boondocking. The 4 gauge wires from the converter to the batteries seem more suited for this. Do you have any thoughts on whether this will stress the converter too much?

You’re right about the need for batteries, and more batteries. In a week or so I hope to be in the 600 AH range of AzgM’s on board. It takes creativity to to do something like this though. My trailer has three battery tray and the bottom will only fit a 24 sized battery. I’m getting ready to order solar panels too. Without question my now 2 year old used a Raptor is significantly better than it was as a new camper. I had no idea going in that this was so deficient. Oh, and the achinese tires. Again, had no idea it was worthless to us as shipped...
As for leaving truck hooked up while doing slides and such, if I'm not mistaken you can't overdraw the truck wiring because the converter is only going to pull so many amps, possibly no different than having low batteries and being charged while driving down the road. At least that's the way I understand it, since the converter only trickle charges the batteries you can't hurt the truck wiring because all power from your truck has to run through the converter. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote