View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Banshee365

I'd love some help from some tire guru's for my Cougar 5er.

Without having to go much into the whole thing, I blew a tire on my 2016 Cougar 5er. They are a little over 3 years old. I just recently bought the unit. I was planning to replace the tires by years end and thought I had some time by keeping meticulous care of the pressures and staying around 60 mph. I also don't travel with a drop of liquid in the tanks and pack very light for short trips.

It doesn't matter. The right rear Trailer King exploded and absolutely destroyed the right side of the RV. The shop said it will take 3 months from now for completion of the repairs as the parts take forever to get.

Anyway...

The size is 235/85R16. I'm looking at Goodyear Endurance, Carlisle Radial Trail HD (E or F range) and Sailun S637's. The issue with the Sailuns is that apparently my aluminum wheels aren't rated for the 110psi. It's also my understanding that it's the valve stems that are the limiting factor and that I could replace them with metal ones and run the 100-110psi in the Sailuns on my factory wheels. The Goodyears and Carlisles are under 100psi. I think the LRE's are 80 psi and the LRF's are 95.

I was looking at the Carlisles because they seem to be highly regarded by some and they are cheap enough that I could buy the 4 times and a TPMS system for the same price as 4 Goodyears. The Sailuns cost about the same as the Goodyears. I am having to spend a ton of money on new tires for the truck and the insurance deductible so I'm considering cost as somewhat of a factor. I don't want to ever have another blowout again. Maybe the Sailun's are the way to go...

My unit is a 339BHS and it's GVWR is around 12-something.
Banshee365 is offline   Reply With Quote