View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #39
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I’m not very receptive to posts about “China Bombs” without documentation of a cause. I go to a lot of RV shows and seminars.

I don't like it when posters make comments about having a PhD in tires. That sort of thing isn't helpful.

And I'm with you on the idea we use documentation around actual failures / failure rates before name calling tires.

However, what I see (anecdotally) going on is a lot of tires, manufactured in China, being "branded" in a manner that makes complaining about them effectively and as such providing accurate data darn near impossible.

I don't recall the most recent brand (Lion-something) -but they just started getting imported by an LLC out of Goshen. Gee, what could be in Goshen that might interest someone selling tires? When I looked up complaints on that brand, there wasn't even a drop down for the new "name" on the tire.

Lots of this stuff comes in with a new "name" on it. Manufactured in the same place, same design, just a new logo. That does exactly what it's meant to do.

For the tire PhDs, if I import a tire that gets a DOT certification, can I rebrand that tire as something else and keep my DOT cert? If so, I could just change my name every time I started to build a reputation.

And look, I'm an importer and reseller of foreign good (China). For every product (automotive) I probably fire 3 manufacturers out of 4. And I've had manufacturers try to change something to literally save $0.25 that impacts my customers. I believe it's endemic in the China market.

I believe that bottom-dollar (which is typically what the RV industry wants) tires are a problem when they are loaded to typical 80-90% of load capacity out of the gate.

I do not think all China products are crap. I replaced Trailer Kings with Sailun, both made in China, but the Sailun's literally weighed 100% more than the Trailer Kings.

I do not think it's possible to get "good data" to document RV tire failures. There are too many ways to subvert this data..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote