View Single Post
Old 09-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #27
Dave W

There is more then enough history on Tow Max, Marathon and similar 75 buck tires made in China that regardless of how good the materials are, that if they aren't put together correctly, they are junk. The nicknames - Blow Max and China Bomb have been earned by many folks bad experiences. Carlisle have had more then their of problems that I'm leery. Maxxis seem to have worked well for most while the new Goodyear Endurance has no real track record yet. Sailun - many like that tire but many wheels on 5200/6000 pound, 6 lug axles wont carry the rated 110psig though will probably be within weight capacity range at 80 or thereabouts. So what does this mean - to me, at least? This means that I'll use a good brand LT. The premier LT tires are Michelin and Bridgestone which are also rated for trailer but many 16" have a max sidewall rating of 3042.
This from my reviews is conservative since there is a pretty large safety factor that I've seen as high as 40% which I don't necessarily trust but for sure, those LTs have a 20-25% margin. ST tires - no safety margin that I've been able to determine. Some say that the ST tire are built to deflect on sharp backing turns. Hogwash!! How many sharp backing turns do you really make on pavement. Most CGs have gravel or dirt roads so why do these flimsy tires need to squirm and force those tread plies and strands into failure. My RVs LTs maintain their shape, exactly like the tires on my truck plus are rated for speeds other then the China Bombs 65mph (106 mph - not that I'll tow anywhere near that speed). There has been so much controversy about ST tires posted on every RV forum that anything said here is redundant. If you choose to run the current crop of China Bombs - do it but there have been too many failures other then low pressure/heat or road hazardvdamage, IMHO, to ignore - at least by me.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote