View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Every Michigan DOT inspector and many of the State Police traffic enforcement officers has a set of individual wheel scales. Many DOT weigh stations have a set as well. Many other states have similar setups, but getting access to those scales would probably be very difficult. Borrowing a set from a DOT officer "ain't gonna happen" and finding an officer who will take an hour or more to let you use his equipment under his supervision is probably a long shot as well.

You can buy a set, do a Google search for "portable drive over scales" and you'll quickly see that it probably isn't worth the $1500 cost.... At least it isn't something I'd want to spend money on.

As for CAT scales, the only way I know to weigh each individual axle is to pull "partly off the side" of the scale pads, pull the trailer up to the vehicle pad with front trailer axle on the front pad and rear trailer axle on the rear pad. That would give you an "approximate" weight, but since the scale pad foundation is sloped for drainage, the trailer will be "slanted to the side" which would alter the weight. How much? I don't know, but I'd guess enough to make the weight not worth the hassle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote