View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #38
CWtheMan

I don’t keep records of my postings. I just do them as they come along and to the subject at hand. I know I’ve posted this lately but maybe not in this forum.

Maxxis tires coming from Asian countries other than China may have a much higher tariff percentage than China currently has on ST tires. Therefore, their prices across the board may be higher than tires built and shipped from China.

Another factor is tire warranty. It can also effect retail prices. Here is an extreme that could also cause higher/lower tire prices. Maxxis tires have a 6 year warranty. That warranty time starts from the manufactured date on the tire’s sidewall. Carlisle tires have a 2 year warranty that starts from the date of purchase. If you don’t have the bill of sale it starts from the manufactured date on the tires.

Carlisle has, for a long time, sternly recommended full sidewall inflation pressures for their trailer tires. With shallow treads and dense tread compounds Carlisle says they will stay cool and last longer. They are not alone in their recommendations. Others with such information are not as easy to find as Carlisle.

This is short and basic. When replacing your Original Equipment (OE) tires with “plus sized” tires or tires with more load capacity, there are specific tire industry standards to follow. The very first and most important step is to ensure the replacement tires have equal or greater load capacity (via inflation) when compared to the OE tires listed on the vehicle’s tire labels. Then there are the common loop holes; make sure the rim is approved for the replacement tires, make sure there is enough clearance for the replacement tires to fit properly into the wheelwells and there is sufficient clearance between the tires so they are not going to scrub against each other during tight turns. Inflation pressures shown on the trailers tire placard will no longer be valid for most “Plus sized” fitments. The new (minimum) recommended inflation pressures will be whatever it takes to equal the load capacity of the OE tires. When going up a load range with the same basic sized tire (LRD to LRE) the tire placard pressures are still valid. However you will gain the extra load capacity from the LRE tires by increasing the inflation pressures. What will you gain by using the LRD inflation pressures? Nothing in the way of extra load capacity. That can only be increased by increasing inflation pressures. Duribility? Maybe, but like all durability, it’s not measurable.

Example of durability; There are a couple of LT235/85R16E tires manufactured by different manufacturer’s that have full steel casings. One is also retreadable & regrrovable with tall dense treads, sidewall inserts and an extra steel belt. Very heavy and expensive. Its load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI. A like sized polyester tire from the same manufacturer has none of those durability factors. Its load capacity is 3042# at 80 PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote