View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #32
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Ordered 225 75 15s in LRD at Walmart.com last week. They came in 3 days later and were DOT stamped "2016". Too aged for me so I received a refund. The next day, ordered the same tire from Amazon.com. Received them today and they were stamped "1616". What's up with year old inventory with this size/load rated tire?

My first attempt at ordering tires from DT resulted in LRE tires. They were much newer around Nov 2016. I'm just wondering if my quest for load rated D tires in size 225/75/15 is futile.

I'm considering the LRE tires as I think the local stock is much more fresh. My only reserve is my wheel capacity at 2540 lbs. If the LRE tired max inflation pressure is 80 lbs supporting 2800 lbs, will it compromise the tire if I inflate only to 65 lbs, in order to stay within the specs of the wheel? Remember, OEM tires were LRC on 14 inch wheels supporting only 1760 lbs. Weight is not a concern as I will never come close to max weight limits on either LRD or LRE tire.

The only other thing that worries me is the stiffness in the LRE rubber. Comparing the Carlisle LRD to the OEM Trailer Kings is night and day. The tire is just so much more beefy. Don't really want to rip apart the trailer because its rolling on unforgiving rubber. Opinions?
I am running into a similar dilemma. Maxxis Canada's stock is dated mid 2015 so nearly two years old. They have over 30 tires in the 8 ply in 225/75/R15 and a dozen in the 10 ply currently in stock at heavily discounted prices. So neither seems to be a practical option given their age. The local distributor of the Carlisle HDs has over three dozen in stock of the 8 ply, and my dealer says they are dated mid 2016.

So my current thinking is to keep running my Trail Kings with a date code of week 26 2014 until mid this summer so local stock get replenished with newer tires. But I am starting to get nervous even with TPMS.

BTW: Carlisle states that their tires are to be inflated to the max sidewall pressure. Whereas Maxxis implies with their load inflation chart that it is not a requirement. When I called Maxxis Canada, they confirmed that their ST tires can be run at lower than max pressure but the recommended inflations in the chart needed to be respected. CW, does this agree with your experience / insights?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote