View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #28
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Really odd about wheel size of 6.5 inch

I installed 14 ply G rated LY tires on my Sendel wheels three seasons ago and have zero issues

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...th_Radial_Tire

Also seems odd this place is selling 6 inch wide wheels with all their 14 ply tires. I just don't buy into the 6.5 inch mania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was also curious until I did more research on the subject.

The best information on a 16” LRG steel cased tire will be found in the tire data book for the Goodyear G614 tires. It clearly lists the rim width as 6.5” and the measuring rim as 6.5” and no others are mentioned.

It’s very difficult to find data books on China made tires. Basically we have to trust what the wholesaler prints in their PDF files. However, If you know someone with a TRA year book the rim info for all tires is in there. Those books are confidential and I don’t have one.

I did some research on trailers fitted with China steel cased tires at a RV show earlier this year. They are serious enough about the 6.5” requirement that they put it right on the tire’s sidewall. Here is a picture of a steel cased ST235/80R16G Westlake tire.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29709

Most tires are built with a rim width range. Something like 6” - 7.5”, maybe with a measuring rim size of 6.5“. The LRG 16” steel cased tires are very heavy compared to polyester cased tires. IMO the manufacturers want them to seat properly and to insure that they only want them on 6.5” rims.

This is a tire industry standard: Tires should be mounted on approved rim widths. If changing tire sizes, check to make sure the rim/wheel has adequate load and inflation pressure capacity. For rims/wheels not so identified or for service conditions exceeding the rated capacities, consult the rim/wheel manufacturer to determine the rim/wheel capabilities.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote