Thread: Yes! New tires!
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando3 View Post
Okay gentlemen maybe this is where I should ask since I see most of you have bought tires lately. I bought a brand new Fifth Wheel in December of 2016 and first trip I had a blowout, no damage thank God. I did several things that probably contributed to the blowout. I knew better, ran them at about 62 PSI rather than 65 as stated on the tire my mistake, followed rv dealer recommendation. I also ran the tires on a round-trip 1500 mile trip sometimes between 70 and 75 miles an hour which I Now understand you should not do. So here is where I'm at, do I put a 225 / 75 R15 E Rated Tire from the original D Rated Tire or do I put a 16 inch tire. Other sprinters run the 235/80R16 FROM THE FACTORY. I believe mine came with the smaller tires due to the fact that the factory weight didn't quite reach 10000 pounds, it was 97 30. Thoughts? BTW, my axles are already reversed (came this way).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Sad but true. Keystone will provide Original Equipment tires that meet the very minimum required. For instance, the 2016 wide body 298FWRL models’ specs indicate the trailer is equipped with 5200# axles and de-rated by Keystone to 5080# - legally - which allowed them to fit it with ST225/75R15D tires rated at 2540# @ 65 PSI. Why they would not spend a few $$$ more for the LRE tires is beyond me.

With a trailer fitted like that it is very unlikely the OE tires would have lasted more than a year with a normal load, correct tire inflation pressures and speeds under 65 MPH.

Notes: All RV trailer tires are fitted to GAWR. With RV trailers there is no requirement/regulation for the trailer manufacturer to provide tires with load capacity reserves. The RMA recommends load capacity reserves to be at least +12%.

On average, a 1 PSI loss of recommended tire inflation pressure equates to a 1.7% loss of load capacity for that tire. It’s not a big deal with automotive vehicles because they have some reserves to fall back on. For people hauling fully loaded RV trailers it is a big deal. Do you know what kind of load capacity reserves your trailer tires are providing?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote