Thread: 50 to 30 amp
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #32
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
I am also an electrician and have read article 551 several times and nowhere does it prohibit plugging a 30 amp camper into a 50 amp service at the pedestal. Can you please copy and paste what you read? As previous posters have stated, the RV main breaker will limit the rated cord set to its 30 amp capacity. Nothing else can cause more than 30 amps on that cord unless tampered with as the cords for our campers are meant to only serve the camper and nothing else. Can you explain how the manufacturers were able to market these adapters if they cause fires like you claim?

As far as the wires burning up in the metal junction box, I would say its because of bad connections causing arcing and then carbon buildup on conductors which causes more resistance thus causes conductors to get excessively hot and then burning of insulation at the joints and in junction box. If it was an over-current condition on the wires, you would see degradation or evidence of melting of the insulation on the wires outside of the junction box. Since it was only within the junction box, it tells me the problem was with the connections. Without seeing the whole thing, one cant be for sure. But one thing I am sure of is that the use of "dog bones" are legal and safe if used as directed and not tampered with.

^^ This.

The 30 amp camper can't draw more than 30 amps. It's main breaker will not allow it.

In the case of a short in the cord, the 50 amp breaker in the pedestal will trip... even with a 10 gauge "30 amp" cord.

If loose connections arc and cause a fire??? The 6 gauge "50 amp" cord would not prevent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote