Thread: Balancing
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
SmittysRV

Re: Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Smitty,

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth). An unbalanced tire/wheel will "hop" or "bounce" as it's being towed. Think back to when you had an unbalanced tire and a bad shock absorber on any vehicle. Very few of our RV's have shocks (except for a very few 'luxury" models). So, as we tow, especially without shocks, the need to balance wheels becomes even more necessary. Why? An unbalanced tire will "hop/skip/bounce" causing sidewall flex which causes heat to be generated in the tire carcass. Increased temperature causes the tire to "fatigue" faster leading to premature wear and "self destruction". So, to help prevent sidewall flex, higher operating temperatures and premature failure, spending a few dollars to protect a much larger expense of the new tires, at least to me, seems like a smart "pre-emptive investment".
Makes perfect sense to me, im curious why more people don't do it? I have also just recently read as I am still snooping around for info, the break drum should also be balanced or balancing the tires and wheels is waist.

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote