View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhawk View Post
What generator would you reccomend and where should it be run for this trailer with one 13500AC and a microwave, and do you reccomend gas or propane? hoping to avoid doing things twice if I can do em right.
I think the answer to your question is more in the "size of your wallet" than in performance.

If you have a big wallet and want to buy a Honda 3000i, it'll cost you $2555.55 at CW. If you have the PC discount, it's @2299.99.

A Honda 2000i is on sale for $999.99, the companion i is 1099.99 and the parallel cable is $54.99.

The CW cost of the Honda 2000i setup is $2154.97.

Yamaha has much the same setup and the cost is approximately the same.

CW also has a Champion 4000 generator CARB model for $349.99 or the same generator in the 49 State model for $299.99. The same generator is available from Tractor Supply for the smae price.

There are a number of other possibilities, but these should give you the ends of the spectrum, (most expensive and least expensive options).

As for gas/propane. Gas seems to be more cost effective and easier to resupply. There's more gas stations than propane stations in most places. I do believe that most generator models that are available in a gas/propane option (same generator, different carborator setup) that the gas model is rated slightly higher output wattage. Additionally, usually a 5 gallon gas can (red plastic) is much easier to transport than a round 7.5 gal propane tank. At least that's my take on it.

I suppose, you should also consider how you'd use your generator setup. If you plan to use it "dry camping" in a populated area, you'll still be restricted to "quiet hours" with either setup, but during the day, when generators are allowed, the Yamaha or Honda setup would be quieter, but then, during the day with radios, kids playing, other generators running, 4 wheelers and motorbikes on the roads, is there really that much difference that it'll be noticed 2 campsites over?

These are all points for you to consider. There is an online forum that has well over 3000 entries concerning the "Chinese Champion generator" and there is a tremendous amount of support for it on that forum. There's no doubt Honda/Yamaha are quieter, I suppose you could say the "cadillac" version, but I'd guess you tow with either a Dodge, Ford or GM, so you already realize that "cadillac" is not always the best choice for every decision.

Weigh your options, consider whether you really want to spend upwards of $2500 for alternate power for a 2007 Outback.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote