View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
The above is an accurate statement. The word SHOULD is the critical point. I kept (keep) my tires at the recommended psi religiously. I don't drive over 65mph. The tires are covered when parked for long periods and are in a enclosed storage facility when not in use. I do a walk around at every gas stop checking the tires and wheels. All of this including having all tires pulled and inspected by a local tire dealer before departing Monday (they said the tires were in "excellent" condition). 50 miles out the tread completely separated from the tire as if it was never attached to the carcass.

All that to just say if you think that because you keep your tires aired up and check them, it absolutely means nothing when it's time for the tire to "go" for whatever reason. I'm afraid you will be in for a big surprise.

Although it appears there is no rhyme or reason to the failures and some folks have good luck and some don't I think there may be some common denominators. 1) Tires that are put on the trailer that just barely cover the weight of the trailer (mine is one) resulting in overweight conditions when traveling over a highway like I20 in Shreveport, which I've done multiple times, 2) poor/inferior construction materials or methods used in China. I know there are specs that all tires have to meet for sale in the U.S. but the evidence is irrefutable that the Chinese tires fail dismally. I have had two independent, knowledgeable people look at the tire that came off my trailer and both agreed that the tire just wasn't constructed as it should have been, 3) folks fail to adhere to the requirement of maintaining pressure and speed while not looking at their tires frequently and 4) those that tend to want to stretch the life of the tire beyond its intended lifespan.

I think if you did all of the things a person could do to minimize a tire "event" you would still be susceptible to the "no rhyme or reason". IMO if you bought 5 Trailer King tires today you would have a 50/50 chance of a tire destructing by 2 years. That's just my opinion - I know how I take care of stuff and know our issue was definitely not manmade.

The unfortunate thing is nearly all trailer tires are made in China. Carlisle has a new one out that says it's made in the USA and Maxxis is made in Thailand. The Maxxis reviews are stellar compared to all of the rest. I am having 5 new Carlisle's put on our trailer as I write because I couldn't wait for the Maxxis tires to be shipped in. I hope/anticipate they will last this year, and next year, when we aren't under pressure to get to FL, I will have a set of Maxxis ordered and put on. It seems a waste but I am now phobic about the tires on the trailer and can't stand to constantly be on pins and needles every second while I'm driving; I want to enjoy the trip and not be worried all the time. Just my 2 cents.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote