View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
CWtheMan

This post is just getting started so I'm going to make a technical comment.

When a RV trailer manufacturer uses a specific tire like the ST235/80R16E as their primary selection (OE) and then offers an optional size like the LT235/85R16G (trailer tire) in their brochures it is just that, an option before first sale. The trailer's certification label & tire placard MUST depict the size of the tires & rims at the time of first sale. In other words that's what the new owner accepted.

The vehicle manufacturer's rim selection for the installed OE tires may not now qualify for the optional tires offered before first sale.

If the RV trailer manufacturer uses a 6" wide rim on G614 tires and puts that information on the certification label, right or wrong, it's their responsibility. If an owner does it it's their responsibility. A savvy tire installer would probably catch the rim size error and try to sell you the proper size.

Some time ago I had a conversation with a GY tech rep about the rim size for the G614 tires. On the phone he told me the 6" wide rims would work. When I asked him for an email confirming that, he said no he couldn't do that because Goodyear publishes a single rim size for that tire, 16X6.5", and he could not certify anything other than the GY specs.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote