View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
CWtheMan

It’s very hard to put a finger - so to speak - on the causes for so many bad reports on Original Equipment RV trailer tires. IMO, misuse from the factory to you may be the largest cause. Without knowing the history of the tires it’s all guess work, mainly because there are very seldom any accompanying, or factual information about the cause of the failures. My first question is, were your tires properly inflated when you took possession of your trailer? If you did not check them until you got home with the unit you have already contributed to an early failure condition if they were under-inflated. Were they aired properly when they left the factory? Did the dealer insure they were properly inflated? Usually they just gloss them for looks.

Another contributing factor for early failure is the size and load capacity of the Original Equipment tires. RV trailer manufacturers will use appropriately sized tires/rims. But, sometimes those tires are going to be used very close to their maximum load capacities which causes them to rapidly lose their ability to support the load, hence, an early tire or 2,3,4 failure (s).

There are many thousands of RV trailer owners that never have any problems with their OE tires. From that, I surmise, that when properly cared for and not abused, OE tires will meet their 3-5 year life cycle without fail.

Bottom line: The load capacity of your OE tires are marginal, at best. The easiest upgrade option for you is to move up to the ST215/75R14C when it’s replacement time. It’s about ½” taller than the OE tires and has the same 50 PSI inflation as the OE tires. Your owner’s manual is going to tell you to use the same size tires that cam on it or any options they recommend.

Sorry, I shy away from brand recommendations unless there is a unique size sold by a single brand name.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote