View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I can run my 13.5K AC on a 15 amp extension cord plugged into the side of my garage. The AC runs, the trailer gets cool. I plugged a VOM into a 120V outlet in the trailer and the voltage read 102VAC. If the Refer or the converter kicks in, the voltage drops below 100. The lowest I read was 95VAC. That voltage is not sufficient to run the AC for an extended time without causing overheating problems and eventually damaging the AC.

I'd suggest you do some checking beyone "it blows cold air" to make sure you're not buying a new AC (or having the motor/compressor replaced) from a low voltage condition.

Additionally, the Honda uses insulated windings in the generator to produce electrical power. As the load increases, electron flow in the windings increases. This produces heat which can eventually break down the insulation on the windings shorting them out. Once shorted, that part of the winding will no longer produce electricity, placing a bigger load on the remaining windings to "keep up". This causes more heat in those windings which creates a "cascade effect" causing more and more damage.

What works for you now, will in all probability not work once you damage the AC or the generator. I'd urge you to be very cautious using this setup, Honda generators aren't cheap to buy and they are even more costly to repair. Same goes for the AC.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote