View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #34
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'll beat on this dead horse some more.
I think you're good to go Brent.
Think of it this way...(acknowledging that there IS a difference in ST & LT tires) My Ford door sticker tire inflation numbers are 65PSI front, and 80PSI rear. Obviously, to me anyway, the rears are higher for load carrying capacity. And of course the rear tires and front tires are the same brand, model, etc. Do I drive around town with no load and my rear tires at 80PSI? No. I usually run all of them 65-70. When I load up the 5th, I bump them up. Higher pressure for higher loads.
The recommended tire pressures for your truck are, as you say, found on the tire placard or in the vehicle owner's manual.

As written in the FMVSS, tire pressures for automotive vehicles MUST provide a percentage of load capacity reserves. The vehicle manufacturer is responsible for doing that with air pressure when they set the recommended inflation pressures.

RV trailer tires are not required to have any load capacity reserves. Because the ST tire manufacturers recommend that their tires should always be set at full sidewall pressures the trailer manufacturers will use the minimum tire requirement and set their inflation pressures at sidewall max. It's almost a 100% industry standard for ST tires.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote