View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #33
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Desert

If you're axles don't meet the gvw of your trailer there is a problem. The guy from Keystone told me that they always meet...the Minimum weight requirements of GVW of the trailer. You should not have a trailer with a possible legal weight of xxx sitting on axles, from the factory, that won't meet that standard (as told to me by the NHTSA person - and statute, as I read it).
I’m going to try and explain this so you can go out and look at the labeling on your trailer and verify the figures you are concerned about.

All trailers MUST have a certification label. It’s found on the LH forward external portion of the trailer.

The axles manufacturer’s weight rating is not necessarily used in tire fitments unless they match the GAWR values found on the certification label. The vehicle manufacturer has the authority to set GAWR via DOT regulations. It is a common practice which allows them to sell a balanced - on paper - product.

One of the tests a trailer manufacturer MUST pass is to make sure to GAWR (total) and published hitch/pin weight equals or exceeds GVWR. Keystone is very good in providing those figures in their specs.

ALL trailers hitch and pin weights are supported by the tow vehicle. Only the vehicle manufacturer’s published Hitch and Pin weights are used in computations made before first sale. Once sold it’s the responsibility of the vehicle owner to insure it’s properly loaded and balanced.

Make a best friend of some nearby scales to avoid overloading and unbalanced conditions is my best recommendation for RV trailer owners.

CW

Regulations direct RV trailer manufacturers to set GVWR, GAWR, determine proper tire and rim fitments and set the recommender (cold) air pressures for the fitted tires and put that information on the trailer’s certification label.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote