View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #19
AussieCanadian

Thanks very much for all the replies.

You're correct Javi on the 17" tire size being P265/70-17 (Michelin LTX2's) and these are standard on the XLT unless you opt for the Chrome Package (in US) or the XTR package (if you're in Canada).

After reading all the responses, especially yours JRTJH, thank you - I will approach this issue systematically and then report back. I have a few steps identified so far:

1) Take the truck and trailer down to a level pad, and level the unit up. I do have a new drop shank for my hitch setup (Reese WD hitch w/ round bars) which will give me another 2" of drop if I needed it (I was at the lowest setting with my old shank).

2) Measure the front height of truck with trailer hitched (taking measurement without load with me) - from top of tire to top of wheel arch and record, and adjust WD bars until close (0.5") to empty measurement.

3) After this is complete, take the unit to highway speeds - test

4) Re-adjust as necessary - try weight in back of truck as well as re-distributing weight more to front of trailer.

5) Test again

6) If still not good, I am going to throw on another set of wheels to test it out. I have a set of 20" rims that are heavier, and due to lower profile I believe may improve the trucks handling. My GVWR is 7,350 and I figure i'm around 6,700 on the truck, which includes passengers, gear and the tongue weight. Seems that those with 18" fitted with larger rims (not just those on here, but others I've talked to in campgrounds) don't have this issue... and they are also driving on "P" (not LT) tires.

Thanks again - this is all really helpful and very sound advice... i love thsi forum! Happy camping to all (and hopefully happy towing for me) I will report back in a few days...
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote