View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Javi, are you saying it's not a trailer issue, but a payload issue with the truck? If this is the case, can't the OP throw in 800 lbs or so up against the tailgate and see if it's still an issue?

As I said, it's a similar setup to mine and I'm not having that issue. On a smooth road, the ride is a dream. On a rough road, it's just bouncy, but no wiggle.
Yes it is NOT and issue with the trailer swaying, nor does it seem to be related to tongue weight or payload of the truck itself. I believe it is a suspension and physical weight of the truck as a unit. My trailer has a GVWR of 7200 but as towed weighs a little less than 6600. During the battle to fix the issue we tried several variations of tongue weight ranging all the way up to 1100 lbs all with little to no effect on the shimmy.

A rear sway bar also helped as did the Blistein shocks and new LT tires but we could never get it to go completely away. I was at the point of replacing the rear springs with a heavier pair when I came to my senses and traded the truck off for a Super Duty. Somebody got a very nice 1/2 ton with a lot of work done to it. The one thing I did not try was putting airbags on the truck but by the time I got to that point I'd had all of that truck I wanted.

The major difference is that you have the MAX TOW, I didn't and I expect that neither does the OP.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote