View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
gvansickle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I may have missed it but if you are plugged in to shore power, then your converter, if it is functioning properly, should be charging your battery. There are, as you pointed out, various parasitic drains on your battery - the stereo lights and some of the detectors, which will, over time, eventually drain your battery if it isn't being charged up from time-to-time.
If your battery is "good" it should not run down in a day even with these parasitic draws. There must be some other drain that is causing your battery to become run down or your battery is not in a condition to hold a charge for a reasonable length of time.

You might consider installing a battery cut off switch which would help prevent some of these issues from occurring and check your battery with a hydrometer to see if each cell's SG is ok. It shouldn't be necessary to pull your battery out after each use --- just disconnect one of the cables (+ or -).
Thank you Festus2/JRTJH, I believe that I will install a cut-off. After bringing the battery home I did check it with a hydrometer before putting it back on the charger; that's how I know its good. The first two weeks we had it stored, we did not experience this issue. It's only been since our last time out. I'm inclined to agree with you that the "normal" parasitic draws shouldn't have drained it by 4-5 volts overnight; over a week or two sure. That's what made me first suspect the battery itself. I've had it here at the house for almost a week now, charged it overnight, and have checked it every day since; it tests good. I've got to have something still on somewhere? Going to look at it again this weekend. We're planning to go out again over Memorial day weekend so I'd like to resolve this before we go. We won't really need it as we'll have full hookups but its annoying because the TT's new. I'm sure its something I've simply overlooked but the fact that the breakers were all off and it still lost so much overnight is troubling?

I will check the thermostat when I go back out tomorrow. It is possible that "it" was left on; I hadn't thought of that! Can't check it without extending the front slide. I'd have thought that having the breakers off would have shut it off though?