Thread: Going West
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Have experienced "whip" on two occasions and have made inquiries as to the cause of localized, invisible and unexpected violent wind condition on sunny days, flat road. Have found no explanations. Some have suggested "dust devils", small tornadoes but there is no dust cloud in the sky.
Fortunately I was on an empty highway when one hit and forced me onto the gravel shoulder. Wide-eyed and white knuckled, I stopped to catch my breath and express my gratitude for not losing control of the RV.

Re firearms - I have tried my best to obey the law BUT I have found that there isn't "reciprocity" between different states similar to drivers licenses (one license for multiples states). In some states, inc CA, OR and WA, the rules change from county to county.

I obtained a concealed carry permit only to find that no target range in my county allowed holstered firearms. As one of my law enforcement relatives said, "if they want to get you, they will". The concealed carry permit is valid only in certain states with agreements.

Yes, sometimes the whirlwinds (dust devils) will do it but you can generally see some evidence of them coming your way by dust, debris etc. being drawn up into the air in a circular motion. When that happens you just have to lock down on the wheel and slow down. The "whips" aren't caused by the dust devils. I don't know what kind of phenomenon they are but they can go from a steady 30mph (example) gusting sidewind to a sudden 180 degree switch and hit you with the same from the opposite direction...then flip back the other way. Not all that common but very disconcerting when they happen.

As far as traveling with a weapon in the RV do research before you go if you plan on doing so. There is LOTs of online information about reciprocity etc. I want to know that before I head out and I like to pull each states laws and read them. I usually print the state law from each state I will travel through and keep it in a binder so I can be in compliance. Most states have wording that says state laws preempt any city or county law but some don't - there you have to be very careful. ***NOTE*** Just to remind everyone but discussions of guns are prohibited on the forum unless they are discussed in the context of traveling with an RV. So far this one is staying on track.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote