Thread: Going West
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 12:53 PM   #22
German Shepherd Guy

On I-40 you will be crossing the continental divide on inclines you will be hard pressed to know when you crossed it. Not that you're not up in the altitude just that the accent was so gradual. But I second the caution on the cross winds in New Mexico, especially near Albuquerque. Be especially vigilant as you come through cuts in the rocks out to where the wind can get you. Just be aware and it will be fine. I remember towing to Gallup from TX back in '75 and the head winds were so strong it was all the old ford 360 could do to maintain 30mph. And I think I got like 3 mpg. But at least they were head winds and not cross winds. Friend of mine got jack knifed east of Albuquerque back in early '90s by one of the side winds just after coming out of a cut. Good luck was that all the dogs she was carrying were in the truck (she is a professional dog handler) and it stayed upright, only the TT was flipped.
Now that we have set the mood, have fun, cause none of that stuff is going to happen to you.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote