View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtravis55 View Post
We've got a 2022 Passport with the Solarflex 200i package and standard 100A AGM battery and Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 solar charger. I have installed a Xantrex 1000w inverter and Renology battery monitor. My battery won't last the night keeping the 12v refrigerator going if I need to have the furnace running or a fan on the inverter at same time so I've resorted to tying into a second battery via jumper cables when I'm off shore power. We only use the inverter for TV, small appliances/fan or computer and only as needed. We don't do much boondocking yet other than state / national parks or one night at a Walmart w/o power. We do have a generator we could use but prefer not to if possible. Also don't do any winter camping at this point either.

My options:
- Get single 100A lithium battery to replace existing battery or upgrade to a single 200A lithium battery inside the front pass-through storage.
- Battery brand suggestions? There are several 200A batteries brands (Renology, etc.) that cost less or a little more than a single Battle Born 100A
-On either choice, is it worth adding second solar panel - I don't have a problem with present battery charging on existing single panel solar.
-Do I need to upgrade the Victron charger if going to a bigger battery?
Remember, nothing "runs" on your solar panel. Everything (12v and your INverter) runs off your 12v battery. So if your AGM doesn't last through the night, no amount of solar panels will change that. You need more battery, and yes, I think lithium rather than lead acid (LA) is the answer. But other people may disagree. Think of lithium as 100% usable rather than 50% usable like LA. Whether 100ah or 200ah is math you'll have to figure based on how you want to have power before you "have to" recharge the battery.

YouTube a guy by the name of Will Prowse. He can help you figure out which battery brand you want to buy. And he'll help you understand your solar system.

Personally, I think you should get 200ah of lithium battery. It will give you a cushion of power for unexpected needs.

Oh yeah, no I don't think you need a new solar charge controller. The Victron 75/15 has a lithium battery setting.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote