View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #14
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidegeorgia View Post
We have wanted to try Jekyll for some time now. We generally go to Crooked River, just down the road in St. Mary's, at least once a year and we love it. I had driven thru the Jekyll campground and liked what I saw.

Is there a particular area of the CG that you like? We might try it sometime this summer.
If you want to stay at Jekyll, book now. Call and talk to Ronnie if you run into any problems. He's the campground manager and has been there for years. You might (key word) be able to schedule time late this summer or fall. Some of their spots book a year in advance. I like the "T" area. It's the newest area of the campground and is considered the "quiet area." We stayed in T13 where there was no one to our right or left, but another camper directly behind us. We go annually to Jekyll. Next year we'll stay somewhere in the T section again. The store at the campground sells propane and a bunch of essentials, and there are 2 bath houses.
If you plan to stay on the island, just buy a 1-day pass to enter Jekyll for $8. You will only need to buy another pass if you leave the island 24 hours after you purchase your 1-day pass and want to come back onto the island. For the 7 days we were there, we bought 2 1-day passes. Much cheaper than buying a 7-day pass. If you have kids, take their bikes. Our kids met 10 others on day 1 and played with them all week. Every kid there had a bike. The roads are mainly dirt/shell so scooters don't work too well.

I normally cook / grill breakfast and lunch, and then we eat dinner somewhere on the island. This trip we tried Tortuga Jacks and Sunrise Grill for breakfast after one of the campground ladies gave us a 10% for breakfast at Tortugas. Both were fantastic. Tortuga Jacks is tex-mex (for example, I had huevos rancheros, and their margaritas are enormous).

Things to do while at Jekyll (there are more, but these are a few of our favorites):
-Bird Sanctuary ($0 cost - in campground)
-Sea Turtle Rehab Center / Museum
-Jekyll Mosaic Museum - provides a great history of the island, from Native Americans through 1900's.
-Summer Waves Water Park
-Red Bug Pizza (beside golf course and putt putt)
-Putt Putt Course
-Tortuga Jacks (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
-Sunrise Grill (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
-Driftwood Bistro (Dinner only)
-Jekyll Market - inside this "market" there is a to-go restaurant in the back that sells shrimp, oysters, clams, etc. and really good BBQ. You have to order in person, but it's well worth it.
-Horton House & Horton Pond ($0 cost)
-Driftwood Beach
-Beach by the pier
-Horse riding on the beach (stables are on the road with the pier)
-Bike trails through the interior forest
-Public Beaches and picnic areas

Note: There is no grocery store on the island. The "market" has some groceries and essentials (we bought aloe after i baked while taking the kids to the water park). Closest full grocery store is Wal Mart in Brunswick (15-20 min drive). If you like nature, drive slowly around the entire island around 7pm at night. You'll see dozens of deer along the road, in people's yards, etc. We would eat dinner out and then drive around the island before going back to our TT.

Hope this info helps.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote