Thread: 2nd AC on 316RL
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 05:50 AM   #14
Dave W

A few things to consider based on my DIY research and experiences last year:
- Low profile unit. There are a couple that are in the ~10 inch height vs what you have on the rear which may be as tall as 14". You do not want to exceed 13'5" overall trailer height.

- Btu output - 15K or 13.5K. Your new RV may not be ducted for two a/c units and may (probablyn ot) not have combined thermostat control capability on the wall. If the second a/c is only direct output in the bedroom, a 13.5 unit will do a good job there and since cold air 'falls' will also supplement the existing unit very nicely. The inside a/c control panel is different for a fully ducted unit vs a direct air a/c which has a built in 'stat.

- An add on heat coil is inexpensive and will keep the bedroom cozy on a cool morning but wont help the rest of the RV.

- Cost wise - our second a/d was purchased via AMAZON Prime with free shipping and no tax. I caught a super price just by luck as the price went waaaaay up ($299+) a few days later

- Most difficult part of the job for a DIYer is getting a cumbersome 100 pound palleted a/c on that pretty high roof. The high school football coach next door helped me. The entire job took about 4 hours with at least 1.5 hours used to remove the existing vent and sealant.

Good luck as this is one of the best mods you can do to your new RV to keep SWMBO happiest (right after a disc brake mod)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote